Thursday, September 07, 2006

Finding my voice...

I have resisted the inclusion of video clips in the blog until today, when prompted by a link from Robert Scoble (scroll down to see the link trail) I experienced the value of short, well produced and meaningful videos in meriting the attention of blog readers.

This discursion has recalled my recent postThoughts Illustrated: ChangeThis :: How To Be Creative and caused me to ponder about finding the right "voice" . As Hugh MacLeod says in this ChangeThis manifesto on creativity " Part of being a Master is learning how to sing in nobody else's voice but your own."

... and, MacLeod's very pointed sketch about blogging shown at the head of that post makes his point even more telling.

...and, prods me to consider Dave Pollard's diagrammatic taskonomy "Why I Blog?" How to Save the World . Dave spends an enormous amount of time and energy and intellect in modulating his voice - and reading him has offered me a window into how he is attempting to deal with the complexity of our world.

Inspired by Dave's very visual approach to blogging, I started this blog back in April to explore the power of audiovisual storytelling to augment Doug Kaye's growing archive of speech recordings on the Conversations Network.

Along the way Dave also introduced me to Umair Haque's Bubblegeneration Strategy Lab and Haque's most lucid explanation of the business of NewMedia. According to Haque, what I am attempting to do is to act as a reconstructor.

......and, just what is the voice of a reconstructor? - we'll see!


1 comment:

Bob G said...

Hi Dave - I wandered onto your blog through your post on HTSTW. And then linked to the "story telling" page. Thanks so much of providing it.

First off - I love your comment "a picture is worth a thousand words" - it appears you and I are the same generation! The paleolithic age :)

I too am searching to find my voice in this blogophere - so far it is a kick in the pants. The minds behind creating these simple tools continue to amaze me. Who would ever have thought this kind of communication could exist.

Best wishes on your conversation with Robert Scoble. You'll have to let us know how it turns out!

Tags

ShareThis

Blog Archive

Ti panel